Using the toolkit? Watch this!

All topics not related to another forum.

Moderators: Phil Wright, Chris Porter

Using the toolkit? Watch this!

Postby vesuvius » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:21 am

The lead designer for the ribbon has this http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2008/03/12/the-story-of-the-ribbon.aspxvideo from mix 08.

I really cannot recommend highly enough just how much you should watch this. Especially if you are using a ribbon control in your application. Jensen takes you on a tour of the prototyping the Office team did, consequently you know when to use the ribbon and in what context it is correct to do so. I have come across a lot of developers who have just used the ribbon ‘willy-nilly’ because it was the ‘new kid on the block’, and resulted in creating a really bad application, from a usability point of view. The ribbon solves one key user interface problem, and understanding what this problem is will result in you creating a better application.

There are lessons to be learned here that mean that even if you are not using the ribbon, just the thought process itself is sufficently edifying. It is fascinating just how bad the Office 2003 user interface is, and the scalability that the ribbon creates for your application. One is left beyond doubt just why Office 2007 is far better than the previous version, with an unimpeachable presentation from Jensen.

Edit: Fixed Link, thanks
Last edited by vesuvius on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
vesuvius

Postby Keigan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:01 am

This was pretty interesting.
Thanks for the link ves.
Keigan

Postby Chris Porter » Thu May 01, 2008 4:31 am

Wow!! That was absolutely worth every minute I spent watching it.

Most of my applications utilize the Outlook 2003 style navigation bar and I have yet to build anything using the ribbon. When I work through a UI design on a new application that I am building I consider the ribbon but have never been able to justify its design in my applications. Watching this video confirmed that I was making the correct decisions for me, but also helped me to understand just how powerful the ribbon can be.

It was also very interesting to see how badly Office 2003 compares to Office 2007 when it comes to usability. I enjoy the 2007 ribbon but haven't pushed for 2007 upgrades in the organizations I've worked in since release, but seeing now how much more powerful it is, I can't imagine not upgrading.

Wouldn't it be so much fun to work with this guy on the next release off office and to take part in making it happen?
Chris Porter

Return to General Discussion