Licencing & Source code

All topics not related to another forum.

Moderators: Phil Wright, Chris Porter

Licencing & Source code

Postby amadrias » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:24 pm

Hi Phil,

I'm actually investigating to not use your tookit and the navigator as a set of assemblies but rather include part of your source code as part of one of my assemblies as it could eventually better fit my current design.

You know that I want to extend the skinning capabilities found in your controls to some of mine (mostly the Form) but also use a xslt transform to create a CSS file out of the palettes.

Therefore, I may want to include the Palette definition inside of my own template definition assembly that would be shared for the windows form and the web applications.

The only reason why i'm stating this in here is because I can't see any rules about source code usage on your licencing terms delivered with the documentation.

I don't want to get against your rules as I think your work is valuable and disserves us (developers) to make sure we are doing the right things with your code.

So here is my question:
What limitations you would add to the licencing, if any?

Thanks,
Philippe Da Silva
aka Amadrias
amadrias

Postby Phil Wright » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:44 pm

Althought not explicity stated in the licence you are free to copy and paste the original code into your own project. This reduces the number of assemblies that need distributing and also means you only need to copy the sections actually needed, reducing application size.

What you cannot do is distribute the code outside your own usage. So you cannot distribute the source code with your application.
Phil Wright
Site Admin

Postby amadrias » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:03 pm

Thanks for this quick answer Phil.
Philippe Da Silva
aka Amadrias
amadrias

Return to General Discussion